Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, June 28, 2010

Info Post
http://sify.com/news/tamil-pride-or-linguistic-suicide-news-columns-kg2pRMbahjh.html

There's a blood bath going on at Sify.com over this. Do feel free to join in. For the record, as a Tamil whose fluency in languages is limited to the abovesaid and English (though I horrify people with my Hindi and Spanish at will), I know how difficult it is to live in a place where you don't speak the language (my friends in Delhi, and more specifically, my landlords, will testify to this.)

I'd like to have spoken about how I'm not in favour of the imposition of Hindi in any state; nor am I in favour of the use of the vernacular (and this includes Hindi and Marathi and Bengali and the other eighteen official languages, aside from Tamil) in courts.

Another point that I couldn't make in this piece because that's a whole other story by itself is that if we want Tamil to grow, we need to make changes at the grassroots level, and that would mean spending money on establishing good Tamil-medium schools. But I doubt the Rs. 100 crore will be spent on that.

Anyway, here's where you can indulge in mud-slinging (at me or my detractors. Do feel free to aim in either direction. :-) http://sify.com/news/tamil-pride-or-linguistic-suicide-news-columns-kg2pRMbahjh.html )

0 comments:

Post a Comment